Sunday, May 22, 2011

Hawai'i

The trip across the Pacific was the longest we've ever gone on the ship.  We were at sea for twelve days straight.  Fortunately we had very good weather for almost the whole trip, but I was still very ready to get off the ship when we finally arrived in Hawaii.  We stopped in Hilo on the Big Island of Hawaii for two days.  While we were there I got to go horseback riding. It was a lot of fun, and we got to ride around a ranch up in the hills, which was really pretty.
Hawaii is a volcanic island chain, and there are volcanoes on the Big Island that are still active.  One of them, Kilauea is the most active volcano on earth and is almost continuously erupting.  Because the islands are all volcanic, the beaches are mostly sharp, black lava rocks.  One day I went to the beach with my friends and we climbed all over the rocks, but we had to be very careful not to slip because they are so sharp.  We also walked from our ship into the center of Hilo, which is a small town.  We found a market and some small shops before we had to return to the ship.
Hawaii is a very beautiful island, and I enjoyed getting to visit it.  I would like to go back and see other parts of it as well, hopefully some day I'll get to!

No comments:

Post a Comment